Job Category: Technical
Job Number: 349383
Pay Rate: $15.00/hour
Chemical Lab Technician
The responsibilities of the plant Chemical Lab Technician will include performing technical and analytical services essential to the operation of a fossil fuel power plant, including:
- Working safely and being accountable for your safety and the safety of your coworkers
- Assist in ensuring compliance with applicable environmental, safety and health regulations
- Conduct sampling of incoming product for adherence to specifications.
- Perform analytical testing and monitor plant effluents
- Perform analytical testing and monitoring of incoming and outgoing finished product
- Calibrate and maintain laboratory and on-line equipment and instrumentation
- Maintain bulk chemical and laboratory supplies inventory
- Assist regulatory compliance personnel to help ensure compliance with applicable environmental, safety and health regulations
- Provide equipment lockouts according to the plant LOTO procedure
- Perform duties in the main lab
- Perform QA/QC on instrumentation
- Maintain and calibrate bench top instrumentation
- Inventory lab equipment and reagent chemicals
- Ensure all laboratory areas meet housekeeping standards outlined by the plant
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Possess a valid driver' s license
- Pass a drug test, physical and background investigation
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience and competency in the use, calibration and maintenance of laboratory instrumentation/equipment
- Knowledge of proper analytical methods and techniques is required
- Previous experience in a chemical lab facility is preferred. This would include operating and maintaining clarification, filtration, reverse osmosis and de-ionization systems
Behavioral and other Requirements:
- Broad knowledge of analytical, inorganic, oil, environmental and water chemistries required
- High level of knowledge of chemical treatment methods is preferred.
- Collect samples from inside the plant and water treatment plant; Analyze incoming and outgoing samples for compliance.
- Ability to troubleshoot mechanical systems, read and understand schematic diagrams and identify plant water process problems is preferred.
- Perform QA/QC on instrumentation; Maintain and calibrate bench top instrumentation.
- Proficiency in various Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook
- Ability to understand mechanical and electrical theories and fundamentals
- Understanding handling requirement of hazardous materials (HAZMAT)
- Safety First We believe the safety of our employees and customers is paramount. We will perform and maintain every job, every day, safely.
- Unquestionable Trust - honesty, respect, fairness, and integrity driver our behavior. We keep our promises and ethical behavior is our standard
- Superior Performance - We are dedicated to the superior performance throughout our business. Our priorities are safety first, teamwork, diversity and continuous improvement through strong leadership
- Be dependable and punctual
- Ability to use proper personal protective equipment (PPE) daily including protective eyewear, natural fiber or fire retardant clothing and steel-toe or composite-toed shoes
- Ability to wear respiratory protection periodically
- Ability to work shifts, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays is required
- Ability to work in non-temperature controlled environments (extreme heat & cold)
- Available for call-out and overtime is required
- Ability to work with limited supervision in a team environment
- Ability to take initiative required to manage projects and address issues
- Ability to work in extreme noise and vibration
- Ability to work around moving equipment or objects
- Ability to perform some physical activities while wearing respirators with filter cartridges or self-contained breathing apparatuses in a power plant environment
- Ability to lift and/or carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to climb ladders, bending, reaching, working at different elevations
- Basic mechanical skills and / or knowledge
- # IND